5 days… I only have FIVE days until my Half Ironman!!!! To say I am nervous is an understatement. I… am… freaking… out…
People keep asking me if I’m “excited” and all I can think is, “no, I’m nervous!”
Do I feel prepared?
Yes, I feel as prepared as I could be under the circumstances (my hip is still injured). I was not able to run for most of my training because of my hip injury but I was able to reach 10 miles last week, so I know I can do 13 this weekend. I have swam and biked the course and only gained confidence from it. I have to keep reminding myself to just make the most out of the day and SMILE. It is the culmination of months of training and these last few weeks of tapering (when you train less and allow your body to rest to get ready for the race) have been wonderful. My hip has felt much better and my body feels ready for race day.
So why am I so nervous?
In the last three years I have trained for a few marathons and sprint triathlons and have never felt this nervous. This is definitely a different level of competition. Plus, when I trained for my marathon I ran 23 miles on the race course, in the same weather conditions, and was able to practice my nutrition and water during every training run. But with training for my Half Ironman I have never swam, biked AND ran the full distance all at the same time! There are so many things that could go wrong with my nutrition and water purely because I have not done an activity for the straight 7 and 1/2 hours it will take me to complete the race.
What am I doing this week to prepare my body?
- Water– I am drinking a gallon of water every day (actually for the last two weeks before the race this has been my goal)
- Food– I am making the best food choices I can.
What do my meals look like?:
- Breakfast: Protein pancakes
- Snack: Fruit and toast with 2 tbls. Peanut Butter
- Lunch: Large kale and/or spinach salad with 4 oz. chicken, shrimp or fish
- Snack: Protein Shake with spinach or kale, flax seed and wheat germ
- Dinner: Chicken or Fish with brown rice/quinoa and vegetable
- Snack: Protein pudding
I am also increasing my carb and salt intake about three days before race day.
- Vitamins– I take Juice Plus, Zinc, Iron, Calcium, and a Probiotic everyday. I am also taking an antiparasitic from the health food store since the swim is in a lake. I want to be sure I stay healthy after the race too.
- Stretching– Since I am tapering this week I am focusing on foam rolling, stretching and my Physical Therapy exercises.
- SLEEP– I am trying to sleep as much as I can this week so that when my sleepless night at the hotel the night before my race comes, I won’t freak out. I can never sleep before a race because I’m so excited!
- Doctors– I am going to Physical Therapy and the Chiropractor this week to make sure my body is as prepped and it can be!
Just typing that out actually makes me feel less nervous and a little more excited!! What am I packing? I’ll be posting my packing list on Thursday.