This recipe is perfect to make for a friend that just had a baby, to feed A LOT of people, or just something that can last you all week. It is also perfect for freezing and eating later. I like to freeze it in individual single servings so I can make it easily for a quick lunch or dinner. Plus, it’s vegetarian!
I have made this many times for friends and they all ask for the recipe. It is always a hit!
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 1 bunch/bag of carrots
- 1 tbs. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 (15 oz.) cans of black beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 bag or can of corn.
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- optional * 1 cup sliced roasted red pepper*
- In a large pot saute diced onion and cut carrots in 1 tbs. of EVOO until carrots soften.
- Add 3 cans of black beans.
- Add 28 oz. diced tomatoes and *optional roasted red peppers.
- Add 3 cups of vegetable broth.
- Add corn.
- Add 1 cup uncooked brown rice.
- Add 1 tbs. chili powder and 1 tsp. cumin.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Once to a boil reduce to simmer for 45-1 hour (depending on how long your brown rice needs to cook)
- Add salt and pepper for taste.
- Serve with fresh avocado.
I do recommend that you buy all organic/ non-GMO ingredients.
If you could make your own vegetable broth that would be amazing, but I just buy organic vegetable broth. You can even find it at Target.
If you could make your own black beans, even more amazing, but I just buy organic BPA-free cans from my local organic grocery store.
Pomi tomatoes are a great clean eating option for easy tomatoes and can be found at your local grocery store.
I also buy my organic brown rice from Costco.